Two words: Awesome weekend. Our program never has classes on Fridays and we had Monday (Feb. 1st) off school, so my friend and I decided to travel to someplace where we wanted to spend a lot of time at due to the extended vacation. And I'm sure you can guess from the title of this where we decided to go :-) Our first flight left Sevilla around 10:30 pm on Thursday night and we arrived at the Barcelona airport a little after midnight. Since our next flight to Paris wasn't until 6 in the morning, we definitely slept in the airport. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't too bad. I'm sure that I didn't get that much sleep, but we definitely weren't the only ones sleeping. It's kind of crazy, because I don't think that I would be doing weird things, like sleeping in the airport, in the States. But hey! It's all in the name of cheap travel, so it's worth it :-) When we finally got to Paris on Friday, we had about half the day to go sightseeing. We headed to see the Sacre-Coeur. I'm not sure what exactly it is, but it's gorgeous. It is set on a hill, so there is a great view of the city too. Then we headed over to see some of the art and artifacts at the Louvre. It is a little overwhelming because the museum is so HUGE and there are like a bizillion things there to see, but we didn't stay very long. We were able to see some really cool things like the Mona Lisa, the Venus de Milo, and the Code of Hammurabi, which are all things that we learn about in school, but you never know how cool they are until you see them in person. After, we found a cute little place to eat dinner. Lucky for us, the waiter spoke English, so we had no trouble ordering. I even tried Escargot (sp?)! My friend ordered it, but I tried it too. It wasn't bad tasting, but it has kind of a rubbery texture to it.
Getting home from Paris was quite a complicated task, though! I won't go into details, but let's just say that it involved a metro ride, 4 bus rides, a taxi ride, two flights, and switching airports in Barcelona! Hahaha!
Lesson #16: I have never really considered them before, but I learned about the fabulousness of student discounts! For example, a ticket to get into all of the buildings at the Palace of Versaille and the audio tour costs 18 euro, but because we are students of the European Union, we got in for FREE!!! How awesome!
Lesson #17: Eating crepes, though they taste delicious, is a SERIOUSLY messy task! The last day I bought a Nutella crepe from a little place on the street. It was so good, but the Nutella oozes everywhere! I'm pretty sure some of the people that passed us were laughing becuase I had Nutella all over my faces and hands :-)
Lesson #18: It's true. French people really do eat baguettes :-) We would know, we basically ate fresh baguettes and fruit for lunch every day too.
Lesson #19: Always keep your metro ticket handy! Paris is a big city, so we took the metro a lot, and I was in the bad habit of stuffing the used metro tikets in my back pocket of my jeans, in my coat pocket, or in my purse, so I had a lot of used tickets. One day, the metro "cops" came around asking random people for their tickets and they happened to get on our metro, in our car, to ask us! And here I am, scrambling to find which ticket that I had just used. I gave the lady 2 wrong tickets before I found the right one. How embarassing! I was seriously freaking out too because I knew I had it and I was like, "I don't want to go to French jail!" Hahahaha! But I would never overreact or be dramatic :-)
I LOVE Paris. How about when we're older and rich, we go back together?
ReplyDeleteNow you know why I love(d) Paris!!!
ReplyDeleteAunt Kath
Glad you liked Paris. I hope you saw the silver Jesus at Sacre Coeur. It os lifesize and unguarded since its weight precludes being stolen. next time I recommend Le Madeline, Palais de Justice, Champ de Mars, Le Jardin des Tulleries...all magnificent! It has been years but knowing the history of what you see lends a lot of emphasis to your visit. We can't wait to see your pictures. Way to go on the food, too. Escargot is a favorite! Hugs, Keith, Pam and Val
ReplyDeleteAt least when you talk about these sites, I can relate because it is one place I have been. It is a beautiful city with lots to see!! Glad you had fun and the weather was decent. Love you Sweetie, Pie!! Mom
ReplyDelete